Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:19 AM

Current mood: content
Category: Life

I was told not to write this. I don't care. I was up until 1:30 this morning thinking and obsessing about it, knowing that if I just wrote it all out, I'd feel better, so that's what I'm doing. Please feel free to stop reading at any time.

Myspace, BHP, facebook, I don't care. I should be free to express MY opinions and beliefs here and I'm going to continue to do so. Don't agree? Fine. There are many ways to address that problem. 1.) Delete me! 2.) Don't read it! Nobody is forcing you to! 3.) OR (and I prefer this)- write or talk to me about it! I'm open to many different views. I enjoy adult conversations about controversial topics with educated people. I don't care if your opinions differ from my own, honestly. I can talk about things, even argue my point of view and beliefs (maybe even disagreeing with you wholeheartedly), and at the end of the conversation, agree to disagree and still be friends with someone. I think it's unreal that someone could be ANGRY at me for my own personal beliefs, that someone could say MEAN and HURTFUL things about someone else behind their back all because that person let's say... supports a different political view...

The recent campaign for presidency was intense. Emotions were high on all sides. I spent a lot of my own personal time and energy focused on it. It was an endeavor I was passionate and excited about. I am more delighted in the outcome than you could even imagine. However, I know what it's like to be on the other end of that. All too well. The last 2 election cycles have NOT gone in my favor and I was devastated. However, I have never and would never ridicule someone I considered a friend for their beliefs and I respect their need for time in healing hurt pride. Yes, I'm going to celebrate something that I see as a victory for America and the world, but I understand why you might not be celebrating the same way that I am (yet;) ).

One of the most attractive qualities I find in the new president-elect is his understanding in that. His ability to be above all of the petty, negative personal attacks throughout the entire campaign (including the primaries) and to never stoop to that level. It's something so rare in politics and even rare in everyday life. It's a quality I've seen admired greatly by all sides of the political spectrum, not just by democrats.

I AM a democrat, completely and entirely. I was not raised knowing what the word meant or actually knowing anything about politics whatsoever, but through A LOT of research in the things that are important to me and recognizing what my core beliefs are, I know this is true. That's not to say that I have extreme leftist views on everything, there are many things I tend to be moderate on and even some things (such as abortion) where I even lean a little more to the right. I always listen to all sides though before making up my mind. I do NOT appreciate people making assumptions on my beliefs either just because I identify myself as a democrat. You have a question about one of my beliefs? ASK ME! I will try to explain it the best I can! Don't gossip with other people saying "oh, she thinks this" or "she thinks that". As a matter of fact, don't bring my name up in any conversation with other people period if you don't have anything nice to say! Especially people who don't even know me! Just because you know a couple things about me, doesn't mean you have me all figured out! SOME people aren't that transparent!

There is so much anger... and over what? I can't help but to always think of people who have REAL problems when I'm confronted time and time again with people who get angry about every little thing. Think about it and put your problems in perspective.

What have I done that makes you angry at me? Really think about it!! Got it? Okay, now TELL ME! Seriously, right now. I know who reads this so if you have a problem with me and are reading this, I will expect a response from you. Send me a message, pick up the phone, drive to my house, I don't care, just tell me, because I would ABSOLUTELY want to hear it. Even if it's not about politics. I can handle it. My hunch is that you can't come up with anything (but if I'm wrong, by all means, please tell me) because you're not really angry at ME or anyone else who voted for a particular candidate, but perhaps you're angry in general because things are beyond your control. My suggestion? Focus your anger on something constructive. Find another way to deal with it than taking it out on your family and friends!

For example, if you are truly angry about the current state of the election, join a group of people who support your point of view and get involved! Even if nothing changes for you in the next election cycle, at least you could feel like you did everything in your power to make it happen. And if it doesn't mean that much to you, THAN WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY ABOUT IT!? I guess that's what frustrates me the most. People who don't really care, yet they still get angry when things don't go their way. That and the inability to separate politics or any personal opinions with the people they represent, and instead be able to look at a person as a whole. There are people who identify themselves as republicans who I am friends with and there are people who are democrats who I am NOT friends with. That does not define who I like or dislike. If you are friends with me BEFORE you know my political views and then, finding out that I'm a democrat, no longer want to be friends with me, even though NOTHING else has changed, I find that really sad. I wish you luck in finding good friends who are exactly like you in each and every way!

I know not everyone out there is like this. This isn't for everyone. But, if any of this is true for you, please think about it! This isn't for a particular person out there either, but rather for an entire group of people.

And I will be waiting for your messages...

No comments:

Post a Comment