Tuesday, September 6, 2011

This made me sad...

I brought the girls to storytime today at the library and I sat next to another mom.  She had 10m old twin girls and a 3 year old boy.  She pointed to Haven and asked "How old is she?  Is she 3 or is she 4?"  I probably looked at her like I didn't understand English and was like "Her?!" (touching Haven).  And she's like "Yeah."  I'm like "Ummm.... she's 1 and she'll be 2 at the end of this month."   And she said "No way!!!  She is so tall and seems so much older!!"  (to her credit though, Haven was taller than her 3 year old son, LOL!! And spoke better)  Oh Haven, what am I going to do with you.... you are breaking my heart!!

I thought it was odd when we brought Venily in for registration that everyone kept asking if Haven was going to school (the youngest children that go to that school are supposed to be 4!).  I just figured that these people must not have children or have any concept of how old children are (some people are like that)!  But this woman HAD children!!!  I was seriously getting teary-eyed thinking about it while driving home from the library (and even now, lol).  Kids grow up sooooo fast and she is just determined to speed up the process and make it even harder on me! :(

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about Mason. I wish he would stay my baby forever! It's hard knowing he's my last one, and that when he grows out of something, there's no reason to hold on to it! I like how much easier things are now that he's getting older, but part of me will always miss having a chubby little baby to hold on my lap and to rock to sleep! Also, my kids are super tall for their ages like yours are, so I totally know your pain with people thinking they're older! Mason has maintained some babyness to his face so he doesn't get mistaken for being too much older than he is right now (the typical guess is 3), but when he was a year and a half I had several people guess 3 too. But Carlie has always been guessed to be WAY older than she is, and I HATE it! People think she's 6 right now. When she was 4 months old another mom I was talking to at a store looked at her and said, "is she about a year?" I about died. And the lady look totally horrified and puzzled when I said she was only 4 months, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes! This happens to me all the time! And I have people not believe me all the time when I tell them their ACTUAL ages, they think I'm lying to get free/reduced price things! Sometimes it is heartbreaking to be a mom to tall children- they seem to grow up even faster than small-average sized children! :(

    ReplyDelete